Apprentice Teaching Assistant - Science Technician
Do you love Science? Are you keen to learn more and inspire other with your enthusiasm?
|Apprenticeship||Teaching Assistant Level 2|
|Weekly working hours||37 hours per week Mon-Thurs 8am-4pm Fri 8.30am -3.30pm|
|Salary||£166.50 per week|
|Closing Date||31 December, 2018 at 17:00|
|Other details||Buses run from Mansfield but semi-rural location so own transport is advisable. Leave to be taken during school holidays|
About the employer
Futures for Business are recruiting an Apprentice Teaching Assistant-Science Technician for Shirebrook Academy.
Do you love science? Are you keen to learn more and inspire others with your enthusiasm? This is the opportunity for you! You will be contributing to inspire the effective teaching and learning by providing technical support to the Science Department.
The duties of this role are:
- To prepare materials and set up equipment, ensuring that it works satisfactorily for Science classes;
- To assist teaching staff, as required, with class practical work;
- To clean glassware and other equipment;
- To put away equipment and materials, disposing of used materials and chemicals in a safe manner and to maintain hygiene (including cleaning of sinks) and safety standards in laboratory and preparation areas;
- To operate a safe and secure system for the storage of equipment and materials, ensuring they are readily accessible;
- To observe safe working practice in accordance with the school’s Health and Safety Policy and COSHH guidelines;
- To monitor levels of stock, assist with regular checks as required, and to order new stocks, ensuring best value, and to check deliveries;
- To manage the department’s inventory of equipment and materials and place orders on the system;
- To assist in maintaining appropriate records, statistics and filing systems;
- To maintain apparatus and equipment in good working order and to organise repairs or specific maintenance;
- To assist teaching staff with the general running of practical work sessions in a support capacity;
- To liaise with teaching staff to develop new practical ideas and advise on schemes of work;
- To advise teaching staff on potential problems with equipment;
- To ensure the laboratory environment is clean, safe and orderly at all times;
- To prepare display materials as requested and maintain interesting and stimulating displays in laboratory areas.
To be considered for this post you will have:
- 5 GCSEs grade C or equivalent with at least one in science
- Good numeracy, literacy and ICT skills
- An understanding of confidentiality and data protection and associated guidelines;
- An awareness of Safeguarding Children;
- The ability to understand and comply with the academy’s Health and Safety Policy in the performance of their duties and responsibilities;
- The ability to carry out the duties of the post in compliance with the academy’s Equal Opportunities Policy;
- An understanding and comply with all other relevant academy policies;
- An active part in appraising their own work against agreed priorities and targets in accordance with the academy’s professional development and supervision arrangements;
- The ability to carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post.
- Systematic and practical with strong organisational skills
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently
- Ability to work with diverse groups
Desired knowledge and experience:
- Health & Safety Procedures within a Science Laboratory environment
- Understanding of COSHH regulations
- Experience of working in a Science Laboratory environment
- Experience in working with chemicals and scientific equipment
- Experience of record keeping an stock control
- First Aid
Future prospects: Potential to progress to a permanent teaching assistant role within the school
Please note: Staff training and development on inset days, the dress code is smart and practical
Shirebrook Academy is a member of Aston Community Education Trust (ACET), a Multi-Academy Trust comprising secondary and primary schools across South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire. Each school in the trust retains a Local Governing Body which reports to the ACET Board of Trustees. Whilst each school in the trust is different, we all share the following core values:
- We are all responsible for all our children and young people.
- All our learners will achieve; no one will be left behind.
- Learning is our core business: investment, policy and strategy is driven by opportunities for learners.
- Our academies are rooted in and responsive to the needs of local people.At Shirebrook Academy we strive to be ‘a community of inspiration, excellence and opportunities for all to grow’