Functional Skills English & Maths Information Day Nottingham
- When: 19 March 2020
- Starting: 10:00
- Ending: 12:30
- Where: Futures Nottingham, The Hub, Third Floor, 40 Frair Lane, Nottingham, NG1 6DQ
About the Information Day
Whether you are looking to brush up on your skills, or gain the essential certificates needed to help secure employment, Futures can offer you the chance to increase your skills in both subjects using a range of learning and assessment methods to ensure you reach your full potential. Futures will work with you to design a bespoke maths or English programme to help tackle your areas for development based on a comprehensive assessment. We offer courses in both subjects from Entry Level 3 to Level 2 (GCSE Equivalent) which is widely recognised by employers and further education providers.
This information day will consist of:
- A 30 minute presentation including an explanation of who we are, an overview of the qualifications and the course timetable.
- A chance for you to visit our centre and see where all our courses take place.
- The opportunity to ask any questions and gain professional Information, Advice and Guidance on your suitability for the course.
- Short initial assessment in maths, English and IT to ensure you are going onto the right level qualification.
This session is an opportunity for you to find out about the course and register your interest. It will last approximately 2 hours so please allow time for this, if you have any issues with timings please call to let us know and discuss this with you future.
About the course
Course start date: Tuesday 24th/ Tuesday 31st March 2020
Course duration: 15 days
Qualifications: City & Guilds certificate in maths at L2 or City & Guilds certificate in English at L1
Our English Functional Skills courses at all levels cover the following key topics:
- Improving spelling skills.
- Exploring the purpose of text.
- Discussions leading to speaking and listening assessments.
- Locating information, reading practice and skim, scan and detail reading techniques.
- Improving spelling skills.
- Focusing on sentence structure and learning how to plan and write creatively.
Our maths Functional Skills courses at all levels cover the following key topics:
- Ratio – Introduction, direct proportion, simplifying and sharing
- Money – salaries and tax
- Perimeter, Area and Volume – including complex shapes
- Scale – use of maps
- Averages – extract and present data
Everyone is welcome to come and attend this information day but please be aware this course will be of Level 2 (maths) or L1 (English) candidates only. If you complete the assessments and come out at a different you will be booked onto the first available course for that level.
Meet the trainer
We have many trainers for function skills, here is one of your maths specialists;
I knew from the age of 5 that I wanted to be a primary school teacher but after spending four years at University training to do this, I realised that actually it wasn’t for me! Following this I struggled to find a direction and had a couple of different office jobs while I tried to work out what to do with my life! It wasn’t until I did some volunteering at my local community centre that I realised I loved working with adults and have never looked back since. Teaching really is the best job in the world – there is nothing like it –and I can’t put into words how rewarding it is to see people gaining new skills and, more importantly, building their confidence and belief in themselves and realising that they can do it! Outside of work I enjoy reading, spending time with my family and planning my next weekend away!
Who Can Attend
You can attend this course if you:
- Are aged 19 years old or over (must have turned 19 by 31st August 2019)
- Have lived in the UK or a European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA) Member state for three years or more or be a British / EU Citizen, or Individuals or Asylum Seekers with certain types of immigration status *
- Are actively seeking employment and claiming an unemployment benefit of either: Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance (WRAG) or Income Support **
- OR Must be earning under £16,009.50 annual gross salary and be able to commit to the course.
*Please note this list is not exclusive. Please contact us for further details on eligibility criteria.
** Other state benefits may be accepted, please contact us for further information
Book your place
- Call 0115 941 2027
- Speak to your Job Centre Plus Work Coach
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org